Thursday 24 April 2014

My Photo Albums are a Hot Mess

I was recently looking through my web photo albums and came to the realization that these are not the photo albums I remember when I was growing up. It seems like not too long ago when you would visit family or friends, they would have a photo album on the coffee table full of snapshots of those fun times when you were growing up. I took at quick look at my online photo galleries and realized that my albums are a hot mess. Here are some of the things that I have noticed changed in just recent years when it comes to photography.

It seems like yesterday when you would drive to the grandparents’ house with the family and spend holidays together. My favorite part as I grew older was looking through the photo albums at all the pictures of us when we were kids. It didn't matter if we were swimming in the local lake, at the amusement park, or playing with the animals at the local zoo, those pictures instantly transported me back to a time I can recall by simply glancing at those images.

Flash forward to my web photo albums. First of all when people come to my house no one cares about looking through my photo galleries. After looking at a few of those pictures I can understand why. It seems like every picture is of someone with their tongue hanging out, mouth wide open, or a selfie of me standing so close to something I have no idea where the heck the picture was taken. The photo album is nothing more than closeups of my mouth open in different places. I have no idea where the pictures are taken because most of the time I never label then. The ones that I can distinguish as to where they were taken are usually of me making a stupid face at the camera. When I look at these now I wonder what was I thinking.

Those old photo albums transport you back to a place and time where memories were actually cherished. You can sit on the couch with an old photo album and slowly turn the pages and almost feel like you were back at that location again. You can smell the food, feel the warm breezes, and hear all the sounds, simply from just looking at those old pictures. My web pictures don't bring back any memories like that. They have me cringing in horror as I wonder when did the duck face because the pose of choice in this century. I look at the next photograph with eyes half closed in anticipation of the next stupid face me of my friends made.

The sad thing about my web photo albums is that I would never want to share the majority of these pictures with my family. I don't think I can find many that actually have my family in then. They are all the same close up pictures of me and my fiends making the same faces, just in different location. At least i think they are different locations, its hard to tell with the camera lens halfway down my throat. Getting kind of sad looking through my photo galleries because they don't take me back to a place I love going back to like those old photo albums magically do. I miss those group pictures our parents took of me and my friends. Now it seems I take all the pictures, and because I take 1,000 a day, you really lose that feeling as you scan through them quickly.

Maybe its time to slow down and take some pictures that will have meaning a few years from now, we can still have web photo albums that are full of photos but now they will tell a complete story instead of just being a selfie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment